Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Americorp stuff.












I am on a service learning scholarship through Americorp which requires me to do volunteering related to medical stuff. Its cool cause I pretty much get paid to sit in class and go to clinicals and only had to find a few hours of my own stuff to do. I have done two triathlons out at Sandhollow State park, and recently the senior games. I LOVED the senior games. I watched old people play volleyball, basketball, softball, raquetball, and a small triathlon. I was totally inspired. I am not the most active person right now but watching them do things that I could probably not do really put me in my place. There was this one lady that had metastatic breast cancer and should have died. But she miraculously recovered and is now playing volley ball. She is so happy and loving life and is really good at volley ball. She had a real long talk with me and told me I was going to make a great nurse, I really can't put into workds what she told me and how it made me feel but it was amazing. I spent 45-50 hours working as medical support for these different sporting events and never came across one ornery old person. I realized that its because they are active and have a sport that they love so they are having fun with life. Instead of sitting at home bored and lonely and getting grumpier every day. It was amazing to watch these old men that were 70 plus play volley ball. They could hardly walk or stand up straight so I was a little worried. But as soon as they got out on the court they started moving and jumping higher than I ever could and played a wicked game. Wow!! Here are some pics.

1 comment:

JeriAnn said...

I had no idea you were becoming a grumpy old woman! Trudy and I talked about running the St. George Marathon next year. (Or at least the 1/2) You should join us!!!!